Fire at duplex for second time in a week | News
Spokane firefighters responded to a duplex fire near Mission and Riverton Avenues around 5 a.m. Tuesday.
According to firefighters, there was a fire at the same duplex last Wednesday and the residence has not had electricity since then. Four teenage boys were home and tried to warm the house up with a makeshift fire using wood pallets. Their mother was staying at a hotel.
The fire got out of control, causing the boys to wake up to smoke. They called 911.
Avista was on-scene investigating a claim that the owners of the duplex were stealing electricity from a neighboring house using an extension cord.
Red Cross is assisting the family, as they have been told by firefighters to stay out of the house for the time being.
Upcoming Events near South Hill - East Spokane
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- Deputy under investigation for taking second job while on duty
- Sheriff's Office seeks youth for Explorers program
- Proposed bill could mean headache for medical marijuana dispensaries and patients
- Citizen's Academy addresses Officer Involved Shootings
- Prolific crime fighter retires to play fetch, take naps